Monday, August 4, 2014

And Now Ships...

Yesterday the weather was cloudy, but there wasn't any rain. So the Lady and Mister Guy took me out with them. We went to the Cape Henlopen State Park.  The first thing I saw was this sign.


Were they talking about me?  Am I a pet?  I wasn't so sure I liked this place.  The Mister Guy assured me that I was not a pet; he said that I was family.  That made me feel good. 

The Lady wanted to get pictures of something called a lighthouse. At first I wondered if this was the opposite of a heavy house. When we got there and I saw it. I must be right! The house was in the middle of the water so must be light to float, right? 






It sure looked tall…and it was round! Did someone live there?

The Lady and Mister Guy explained that it was really a big tower with a light on top to help big ships find their way through the breakwaters without hitting the land. Someone might live on the bottom of the lighthouse to make sure the light went on at the right time. And, it is so tall so the light shines a long way!  I think that's cool.

We got to see the beach too. I had already been to a beach. But there were not any belly dancers at this one! I took a second to sit on this bench. It is nice that someone put the bench here to help remember another person.  It is so peaceful here.  I bet the people who donated this bench come here where it is quiet and beautiful and think about the person they love and miss.



Then we went to the park shop and I got another shirt! Yay!  I love new shirts from the places I've been! This one is blue. Not MY blue, but blue. We went out to the woods and took some pictures.




 I got to play in a tree. 



Mister Guy showed me a pine cone and explained how the tree I was playing in came from a pine cone just like the one I was holding. 



It made me wonder if blue furry monsters come from blue fur tree cones.  The Mister Guy explained that I had my "I's" and "you's" mixed up...something about fir and fur confused.  He talked about phoning home or home phones…I didn't quite catch it all.  That was too much for a furry blue and orange monster to think about on a Sunday afternoon in the park.

After that we saw another tower. This one was not a lighthouse. It was big and heavy and we could walk right up to it. 



We could even climb up inside it, up to the tippy top. Mr Guy read that there were a bunch of these towers in Delaware. They were built to let people watch out for the enemy in a war. He said it was called World War II. I asked what war was and he said it was when people got so mad that they started killing each other. He said that there have been two times that so many people were mad at each other that almost the whole world was fighting. These times are called World Wars.  There had been many smaller wars. In fact people are fighting each other right now in places far away.

That sounds bad to me, even if it is far away. Blue and orange furry monsters like everyone.   I then got scared and asked if people here could start killing each other. The Lady said sometimes they do. I did not like hearing that.

To take my mind of or fighting, we decided to climb up the tower.  I could see a long way. 





I understood how this tower was used. I was glad to hear it help keep fighting from happening here, but the idea of people killing each other still made me sad. Then I looked down I saw this message and it made me happy.  



There must be some people who are not angry.

We climbed back down…well, actually the Mister guy carried me all the way up and all the way down. 



Then we went to a place on the water that was not a beach. There was a place for ships to stop. It's called a dock. And wow!  What a ship was docked there!  It was a cool looking ship with an anchor and port holes, and ladders...a ran right to it!


The Mister Guy smiled at me and then told me to turn around and look the other direction.

OH WOW!  This ship was much cooler.  It had a bigger anchor, more port holes, longer ladders, and great big sails!




I was told that this ship is a copy of a ship that existed a long time ago, one that brought people from far away to Delaware. But, they did not call it Delaware back then. Those people wanted to get somewhere they could live happily ever after…just like me.  I liked hearing that last part of the story. 

So, I had a very good day! It was fun, a little sad, but good over all.


And I got a new shirt!


No comments:

Post a Comment