Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Plastic Eyes


Mister Guy and The Lady like to take me out to see new places, new things, and new people.  Today, I went with them to the eye doctor.   This doctor has been taking care of Mr. Guy's eyes for over forty years.  That is a long time!  


I learned that people have to take care of their eyes so that they can always see all of these new things as well as possible.  I also learned that my whole family has plastic eyes, but they are all different kinds of plastic eyes!  This was a little confusing to me at first, but I think I understand now.

I have plastic eyes.  I was made that way and my eyes work just fine.  The lady at the eye doctor’s office let me look into a strange machine where she could see my eyes.  


She told me that I have perfect monster eyes.  That’s good!  But, we weren’t at the doctor for me; we were there for Mr. Guy.

A couple of years ago, Mr Guy got his plastic eyes.  He had something called Cadillacs…no wait, cataracts.  Mr. Guy said that when he looked at things everything was cloudy because of the cadillacs on the lenses in his eyes.  He told me that the doctor took out his cloudy lenses and put nice clean new plastic ones in his eyes so that everything would be clear again.  But lately, Mr. Guy said that things have been kind of blurry  That’s why we were at the doctor.  Just so you don’t worry, everything is good now.

The doctor told us that there are some web things that grew in his eyes to hold the new plastic lenses in place, but too much of them grew in Mr. Guy’s eye and covered places that they shouldn’t; so, the doctor used a machine with a laser to get rid of them.   It sounded scary, but Mr. Guy said that it was not scary.   He held me so that I could look at the machine.  At first I wasn't sure that I wanted to get too close...


...but then I decided that I could be a brave blue and orange furry monster.


This lady came in before the doctor and put lots of drops in Mr. Guy's eyes. 


Then the doctor came in and used the machine to get rid of Mr Guy's over grown eye weeds webs..  


 It only took about 45 seconds and he said that it did not hurt.   I’m happy that the doctor did not hurt Mr. Guy.  That would have made me feel sad.  I hope that his blurry eyes are fixed.

The people at the eye doctor's office were very nice to Mr. Guy, and that is what is important for today.  I don't think that they have ever had a blue and orange monster with great big plastic eyes in their office before.  They weren't sure how to treat me.  I had hoped that one of them might want to have a picture taken with me and join my 100 People project, but nope.  They were very serious about their work, which I guess is a good thing if you are there to have your eyes fixed.

I learned today that The Lady also has plastic lenses, but hers are not held in her eyes by overgrown webs; The Lady’s plastic lenses go on her eyes and she puts them in and takes them out every day.  She called them contact lenses.  There sure are a lot of “c” lens words to learn when it comes to understanding eyes!  I hope that because I already have plastic eyes that I won’t have to ever deal with cadillacs, contacts, or cataracts!

All of this new information about the different kinds of plastic eyes today got me thinking…

Like I said earlier, everyone in my family has plastic eyes, but they are all different yet they all do the same thing.  They make it so we each can see.  What is more important, the things that we all have in common, or the things that make us different from one another?  That seems to be an important question about a lot of things these days.  For example, I have blue and orange fur, The Lady has white fur, and Mr. Guy has gray fur.  We all look different, but we aren’t really that different.  We all feel the same things.  Most of the time we all feel happy, but sometimes we are sad.  Sometimes we all feel hungry, or sleepy, or hot, or scared, or full of joy.   Most importantly we all want to feel loved.  It doesn’t matter what color fur we have on the outside, we all have the same feelings on the inside.  I think those inside things that are the same for everybody are much more important than those outside things like fur color and plastic eye type that are different.

What do you think?



2 comments:

  1. Wonderful adventure with Blueper today! Hope Weber is seeing better right away. Thank God for all the ways they can fix our eyes. My mother is dealing with macular degeneration and the doctor told her she is lucky they have shots to keep her from going blind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am indeed seeing better. It was like looking through thin gauze!

    ReplyDelete