Saturday, May 5, 2018

#guncontrolnow

Today, unlike yesterday, was a pretty day in Dallas.  Mr. Guy and The Lady had some errands to run. I decided that I would go since I did not spend yesterday with them.  While we were out driving, we spotted a building with lots of orange things in the grass in front of it.  Since I like orange a lot, I asked Mr. Guy if we could stop and look.  

When we got closer, I could see that the orange things were Crosses, Crescents, and Stars of David.


They were in front of a church.


Mr. Guy and The Lady explained to me that there is a convention in our city this weekend of lots of people who believe that guns are an important part of their life.  They think that it is OK for all kinds of people to have all kinds of guns even though everyone knows that people with guns kill lots of other people every single day.  There are 96 symbols in front of this church.  The number 96 represents the number of people who are killed by gun violence every single day in my country.


That is a lot of people!  I don't even have 96 friends I don't think.  So this means that in one day, all of my friends plus some more people I don't even know could all be killed.  That is a crazy thing to have to think about!  I borrowed The Lady's phone to calculate how many people that means are killed by guns in the United States every year - 35,040!!!  That is more people than live in my city!!!  My whole city could be killed by guns in less than one year!  

I thought yesterday was a sad day because of the funeral that The Lady and Mr. Guy had to go to.  Thinking about gun violence makes me sad too!

Why do people think that guns are a good thing?  I understand that policemen and a few other people need them to help them do their jobs, but I don't need or want a gun.  Mr. Guy and The Lady don't need or want them either.  It scares me to think about how many people have guns who don't need them and won't use them properly, whatever that means!


It makes me very sad to think about all of the people that these Crosses, Stars of David, and Crescents represent.

For now, I just keep hoping that things in the world will change by the time I grow up to be a big blue and orange furry monster...that's assuming I even get to grow up and am not shot by someone with a gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment