Saturday, May 14, 2016

A Month of Me - Day 14

Saturdays are usually chore day at our house because its the only day that Mr. Guy and The Lady have to clean and do laundry and buy groceries.  Today was different.  Since The Lady is all done with school, she can do all of those things on Monday.  So, today wasn't chore day; it was adventure day!  That made me happy so I decided to wear my "happy" shirt.  And it is yellow!!!  In all of my wondering this week about how my blue and orange fur would look with the color yellow, I forgot that I already had something yellow!  I don't think it crashes clashes.  Yellow is a happy color just like my shirt says.  It makes me happy and going on adventures with The Lady and Mr. Guy makes me happy!  Today I am a happy little monster!

Lots of times when we go on adventures that require flying on an airplane, we have to get up very early.  No airplanes today.  We weren't going too far from our house so we went in the car and we didn't have to get up until eight o'clock!  This little monster got lots of sleep last night!  We were going to a place called Heritage Homestead to meet some special friends of The Lady and Mr. Guy.  It took us about an hour and a half to drive there.  

The first thing we did was eat lunch.  The restaurant was super busy so we had to eat sort of quickly.  The Lady did not take time to take any pictures at lunch, but Mr. Guy and I did share a piece of orange cake.  I think it was made of carrots.  After lunch, we went to see all of the fun stuff.  Heritage Homestead is a craft village where people make all kinds of things.  

The first thing we saw was a blacksmith.


It was kind of scary watching the blacksmith.  He put pieces of metal into a big fire.  The metal got so hot that it turned bright orange.  That may be one kind of orange that I don't like!  The blacksmith guy liked it though.  While the metal was orange, the blacksmith guy used his tools to twist and turn and fold the hot metal into hooks and all kinds of neat things.  I liked watching him, but I don't think I would want to work with the metal and the fire.  I would be scared that my fur would catch on fire, and I don't think it would turn more orange if it did.

Next we went to the gristmill.  I didn't know anything about gristmills, but there were people working there who explained what a gristmill is.  They take grains and grind them to make flour.  


I liked this place because it was about making food.  I like food!  I like to make it and I like to eat it.


We bought some oats for our breakfasts.

The next place we went was to the fiber building.  That was a place where they had lots of sticks and string.  The people there twisted the sticks and string just like the blacksmith did except they did not use any fire.  The Lady knows how to twist string with sticks.  This place had string in lots of colors.  


Hey look!  They have string that has blue and orange and yellow all at the same time!  It matches me!


I have an idea!  The Lady can get some of this string and use her sticks to make me a hat!  I bet she can make a hat with some air holes for my horns!  I bet our friend Ms. Joni would like this place.  She is one of The Lady's friends who likes to play with sticks and string.  I think you should come visit us in Texas, Ms. Joni.  Or, maybe we can find a string store when we see you this summer in Pittsburgh. If The Lady won't make me a hat with air holes for my horns, will you?

I learned that some of the string comes from plants and some of it comes from animals like these.


I think that they should be called string monsters, but they are called sheep.  That doesn't make any sense.  They were fuzzy, but they didn't have any colorful sheep like make the string at the string shop.  I want to see a fuzzy rainbow sheep!

This place did have lots of flowers in all the colors of the rainbow.


Look!  More yellow with lots of orange!  I think that I am beginning to like yellow too!  Not as much as blue and orange, though.

And they had great big shade trees.


Since I don't have a hat, I sat in the shade of the tree so that my head didn't get baked.  Mr. Guy was wearing his hat so his head didn't get baked.  That was OK because I don't think that hat is the right hat for me. 

The last place we went was to a house where people take mud and make dishes with it.  They put it on a merry-go-round and instead of getting dizzy it becomes a bowl, or a vase, or a cup.  A cup!  They had made lots of cups.  Maybe the Dallas Stars should come here where they could each get their own cup since they didn't win the big cup.  If they really, really, really, just want one great big cup, they can get one of those here too.


After we saw all of this neat stuff, it was time to say goodbye to our friends and head home.


I had a super fun adventure day!  I saw lots of things that I have never seen before.  I am looking forward to more adventures and more new people on our summer adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment